Monday, October 24, 2005

The Power of Kindness

This will be an update on last week spent in the Bruce peninsula. Firstly, it is STUNNING. I was literally breath-taken on a couple of occasions. Such a pretty part of Ontario - I felt so lucky to have seen it. The thing that stood out however was the kindness of the people I met. I would like to share with you a few of those occasions...

1.Barbara & Dave from the first B&B I have ever stayed at. She is a wonderful German woman, librarian and the "mum" to the most wonderful dog ever named Mazi. He is a Canadian bus driver. They are both bikers (Harley D's) and are the most lovely people. They were married in Las Vegas at a drive through wedding chapel on a Harley - she had an orange hat on...we got to see the tape. These people were so welcoming and down to earth - I actually picked their B&B because she was wearing overalls in the picture. They were wonderful company and completely easy going. I felt so well cared for that I came back with a friend to hike some of the Bruce Trail for the weekend and we stayed there. Funny part of this was that there was always a guest named Barbara there as well as our host. They were so thoughtful.

2.The schools I visited with were some of the most easy going teachers and students I have had the pleasure of interacting with. Very easy going, interested in who you were not just the school you were representing. Many of the secretary's were also avid hikers which was helpful in deciding where to go. I really also felt I had the opportunity to invest in some of the students I spoke with. Some are so afraid of "getting it wrong" or failing and I LOVE being able to tell them that they should be proud of being in the position that they're at (able to go to university) and that they're going to make a fantastic choice. One girl almost cried just having someone tell her that she was wonderful.

3.Being away from home. This may sound odd in a lot of senses but let me explain. I have loved my job thus far and loved my adventures. It's also helped me realize what wonderful people I know. My mum for example and her husband have been a regular contact for me. I've talked to them more in the past 2 months then I have in the past 7 years. My mum is an incredible lady and is always good to give me the latest on what's happening at home or to remind me that she thinks I'm wonderful. I've also been able to keep up with some friends on a more regular basis then I've been able to over the past couple of years. I get to call them in the middle of the day at work or chat at the end of a long day and it's so refreshing. There's also my friends who have been great to make time for me...Whether it's a meal or a movie or a walk in the park or a phone call or an 18.5km hike.

4.Another, and the last of my examples, are two new friends of mine: Jordan and Christopher. Age 9 and 10 respectively. I was able to stay with them in their families home as their grandparents run the B&B and their dad lives there too. I played sequence with the boys, and had my butt kicked, we read books on horse back riding and talked about how angles are not only found in grade four homework but all around us. We spoke in British accents and shared scones together. They even wanted me to come back and visit now that I know where they live. They were so wonderful.

The theme that I'm constantly reminded of is how kind all these people have been to me and how it has often, and quite literally, "made my day." I'm sure those little boys weren't trying to go out of their way to be nice to the random lady in their living room...but they totally changed my experience. I feel so blessed. There's that totally overused quote by Margaret Mead that says "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." I wonder if her point wasn't just in reference to "thoughtful" as people who put cognizant, analytical work into their cause but also that those who were thoughtful. As in being kind and considerate of the feelings or well-being of others.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Hey T. Dot.

I'm writing this here in Brampton. I'm sure you're be walking through my door any minute after your first day in concreteville. It's really nice having you stay with me.

I think this last post epitomizes the type of person you are. In explaining the people you have met, you have described yourself.

Cheerio
Dani

3:09 PM, October 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home