Friday, October 07, 2005

I Survived 214

Another week, another code red.

So, I'm setting up for a presentation in a high school. All of a sudden the teacher of that class enters and informs me that we're entering a code red and initiating a lock-down. "Oh" I say nonchalantly, as if the old code red lock-down was my invention. Then he locks us in the room. We shut the windows. Everyone sits against the inner wall out of the way of the window in the door. For anyone who doesn't know, that's the usual code red procedure.

The students are quick to tell me that they started practicing these things after Columbine. The teacher informs me that it's not a drill but he doesn't know what's happening. The principal got on the announcements periodically informing us that there was police presence (he didn't mention that it was the SWAT team) and that we were continuing in a, you guessed it, code red.

We talked about financial aid, played "bum" (censored for your own good). We even came up with a t-shirt slogan: "better bored then dead." Some of my colleagues were scared and unnerved. I really had peace about the situation - thank you donning. I even had peace when a girl got a text message from a friend who heard from a friend that said that their was a student walking around the halls with a gun...this ended up being a partial truth. It was actually a fake gun, the guy was 15, they didn't find him right away and when they did he was arrested.

My friend Julia would probably laugh and say "It's because T was there." She might be right...I attract these things it seems. I was just thankful I wasn't the teacher who was about eight months pregnant and had to pee like a racehorse.

Everyone is fine. It worked out in the end. It's a first in Liaison history as far as anyone can remember.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonjour T
I'm in Deep River with the fam this weekend. Don't worry, the blog's safe with me (except for that email I put it in and sent to all Trent students--oops!).
Currently I'm baby-sitting Randi's doll, she's been pretty quiet! I think this blog thing is a great idea, maybe you can print out all these memories at the end and make a scrapbook.
Love ya
Carla

2:07 PM, October 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI! I'm a staunch blog resistor but I'm glad to hear how you are doing and follow the journey! I really really look forward to seeing you soon. We've missed you while you've been away! Yay for next weekend! Love you!

12:21 PM, October 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey T,
Glad your alive. Missed you at Thanksgiving. We had a toast in your honour. I ate a lot of pie.

Lets hang out soon.
Steve W

8:36 PM, October 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home